Sunday, October 9, 2011

Day and Night


We're still living a nocturnal existence, getting out only for a short time in daylight and making dinner the big event of the day.  While we're hoping that will shift soon I'm not pushing it, particularly since we are now definitively into autumn.  The skies are leaden, it's been raining nearly every day, and we've pulled out the warm jackets and mufflers.  An occasional walk or outing for coffee is all I feel the need for at the moment.

Since this is typically one of the loveliest seasons of the year in Berkeley we've been getting reports of soft days and pretty sunsets back there and we keep telling ourselves, "but we're in PARIS!"  That can make up for a lot of gray sky.  The art exhibits are beginning to open, there's lots of music scheduled, game and mushrooms and pumpkin soup are on restaurant menus.  Now we just need to wake up and go.

The first few days here we spent seeing some of the friends from California still in Paris after E's big party, along with E and D themselves.  They've left now, and some local friends are back after the rentrée.  Last night was the first time I spent much of the evening speaking French and I was pleased that it wasn't too bad.  It is time though to go back to taking regular classes.  Maybe that will get me out of the house.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Glad to hear that you are on the mend and out and about. Am living vicariously through you!

Shelli said...

Hi Anne, I miss your take on living in Paris. Hope DC is making you feel at home again.

Mel said...

Hi Shelli, I'm enjoying reading your posts! Our paths almost crossed, I went to Paris before your return! It's a city that deserves a lot more than one visit, so I'm sure I'll be back one day!