Monday, October 5, 2009

Fall has Fallen



Jardin du Luxembourg, by objetsparis.

It rained today. I tried to sneak out quietly this morning to buy a fresh bread, leaving Gene still sleeping. As I pulled the street door open and saw the wet pavement and falling rain I realized I'd need to go back and get an umbrella. And by the time I opened the apartment door, poor Gene had already been awakened by my back and forthing.

So we stayed in, toasting up the remains of the bread and eating the last of the yogurt and persimmons. I adore persimmons, both the soft and hard varieties, and look forward to fall every year to get my fill of them. I wasn't sure they were available in France until I saw them in a market a couple of years ago, under a sign that read "Kaki", which is what they're called here. About the same cost as at home. Last week I helped a little old lady open one of those sticky plastic bags that make you crazy while we companionably discussed our mutual love of the little orange fruits. She put half a dozen of them into the newly opened bag, leaving only a few for me to choose from.  Hey, it's a war out there.

Later in the day the rain stopped and we went for a walk, winding up in the heart of the Marais, having coffee at Les Philosophes. We chose an outdoor table under an awning, looking to cover our bases, but by then the sun was shining brightly and the waiter rolled the awnings back, at which point the sky clouded over immediately and looked like it was going to rain again. Discretion being the better part of valor, we paid the bill and headed for home, taking the long way around just to thumb our noses at the rain god.

We're staying in tonight. I made soup, we finally bought that bread, and we have a fireplace that's begging to be used.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Shelli and Gene,
I feel as though I am back in Paris when I read your blog. I loved reading everything from Gene's trip to the barber to the sarch for the perfect croissant or tomato and evrything in between. You are doing a terrific job
Miss you,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, fall! Rain! You've made me hungry for persimmons now. I should check things out around my 'hood and see if I can find some. Despite the rain, it sounds like you had a lovely time.

Anonymous said...

just discovered your blog/
Loving it, thank you!!

Ken Broadhurst said...

I agree with Mimi (hi Mimi), I'm really enjoying your blog too. Wish I could be wandering around in the Marais, having an expresso or a glass of Sauvignon at Les Philosophes...