Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year



The name of this metro station is nearly appropriate for the day; the only thing it's missing is the word Année to help us wish you all a happy, healthy, prosperous, safe, loving 2010.

I grabbed this shot from a moving train, through a dirty window, so please forgive the quality.  It's a station in the 9th arrondissement and the name is the French equivalent of the old English word "gospel", which means "good news". 

I love the sign because of the wavy letters.  For some reason they haven't been applied evenly and so this wish for a Bonne Nouvelle Année takes into account the fact that not all will go smoothly in our lives in the upcoming year, but that we all hope for good news.

Happy 2010!

4 comments:

Anne said...

I've always liked that sign too and have enjoyed reading about your Paris adventures. How much longer will you be here?

Phillip said...

Hi there! I found your blog from expat-blog.com; your posts are great! I can't wait to tell the wife about the Breakfast In America place.

My wife is French, and as we're expecting (and healthcare in the US is tres cher, to put it mildly) it made sense for us to move to France, which we're doing in less than two weeks. I'm rather nervous, of course, as my French isn't as good as it should be, and unlike my wife I have zero friends over there. So, I was wondering - is there any general consensus among the American Expat community on which forum is the best? Do you have any suggestions for an 'easy' transition?

Thanks! Et bon anneé!

Shelli said...

Phil, thanks for finding the blog and your kind words. I have no idea what the American expat community thinks; in fact I would assume there is no single point of view. Since we're not exactly ex-pats, being here for a limited time each year, we probably wouldn't be of much use in terms of transitioning. Have you checked expatica.com?

Anne, in the comment above, is an ex-pat and writes an excellent blog. Click on her name and you might find just what you're looking for.

Phillip said...

Shelli,

Thanks a bunch! I'll be sure to check out both of those sites.